Luke 12:48

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull
Life is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be.- Grandma Moses

Monday, March 2, 2015

In Like a Lion......

 
 March has chosen to arrive as a lion this year; a frozen, white, snowy lion.  I found myself home again with the children yesterday brainstorming busy work to keep the cabin fever at bay.  We were able to get out in the early part of the day before what feels like our 20th snow storm came.  We filled our time knitting, baking, reading, watching some tv and playing games. All the while we watched outside as if someone tipped the snow glob once again.
      I really don't mind the snow.  Don't get me wrong, I don't relish in having to drive in it because of my location on top of a winding, mountain road, but if it's winter then I feel that snow has its rightful place and I am fine with it.  I usually enjoy the crisp, clean whiteness that covers the otherwise drab and dead winter landscape.  There is nothing more beautiful than that dazzling, sparkling whiteness in the sun the next day. It feels almost as if a washing, or a cleansing period before the growth that occurs in Spring can begin again (oh there's an allegory in there isn't there?!).  Somehow the cold, raw elements outdoors make it feel all the more warm and cozy inside.  The house fills with a quiet calm now that the children are older and everyone finds their favorite activities to do. It alleviates the pressure of having to be so productive and makes room for precious moments like reading, "Little House on the Prairie," with my youngest.  An afternoon nap is a somewhat less-guilty pleasure for me while it's snowing outside.
     I will even admit that I enjoy shoveling.  I find it to be very satisfying, almost therapeutic, work. You can see the fruits of your labors right away, adding up in little neat rows. Unlike so many jobs that I find myself doing, where you know that you are working towards an end or a goal, but it may take years or even a lifetime (think parenting), to see the outcome.  So many of the tasks that make up my job as a mother yield little tangible results.  I usually do them knowing that the end justifies the means whether I see the means or not with my own eyes.  That can be satisfying on its own level, and a very important level at that, but there is something to be said about a labor that has instant results.          For a while it's just myself in the dark, with shovel in hand.  I can feel the icy flakes on my cheeks and even hear them as they land on the already snowy surfaces.  It's that peaceful and quiet on a snowy night.  I can see my own breath, and feel my muscles strain as I work methodically to free my driveway.  My thoughts can take their time sorting themselves out until I'm really thinking of nothing but the next row to shovel.  Towards the end of shoveling my youngest appears on the doorstep.  She felt that I might like some company.  Suddenly the silence is filled with her happy 8 year-old chatter as she gladly takes the broom to "help," me sweep the steps clean. We finish our job and go back inside where it feels almost too warm now.  I soon find myself surrounded by a wall of laundry piles, which is one of those jobs that there never seems to be an end.  March is here as a lion but before I know it, it will be going out with Spring sports' practices, followed soon after by prom pictures, graduations and my oldest moving out to college.  I'm OK for now taking in each day, even if it's a snow day, because I know just how fast Spring and Summer and the whirlwind they bring will come.

1 comment: