Luke 12:48

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull
Life is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be.- Grandma Moses

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Let's Hear It For The Girls!


As a mother of five with a mixed brood (3 girls and 2 boys), I get to experience so many fun phases.  We've had our share of Matchbox Cars, Rescue Heroes, Power Rangers, Little People and Superheros.  Right now though, as the kids are getting older, we are interested in expensive electronics, perfume, nail polish, Xbox and computer games.  Luke is still young enough to allow for the occasional fight with a light saber or Nerf gun and we all know how much he loves Legos.  But, one of my hands-down favorite phases is the little-girl with a bigger-than-life imagination-phase. 

Charlotte, who is six, is going through this right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I'm not sure if it's because she's my youngest, but I just want to hold onto this time in her life for as long as I can.  She can play for hours with her Polly Pockets, Strawberry Shortcake or Lalaloopsy dolls creating drama and intense stories for them to act out.  It's neat to see her work through some real-world situations with these dolls.  Creating conflict, resolving it, expressing loving relationships and sometimes being just plain silly!  Then there are times when she plays a little Mommy and straps a baby on her back while pushing a stroller with another baby around the house, pocketbook slung over her shoulder (now where would she ever get an idea like that?!).  The very best part about Charlotte's playtime is that she sings through all of it.  Sometimes it's songs that she has learned in school or heard on the radio, but more often she expresses her entire stream of thought through a melody.  You can't help but smile when she does this and wish that you knew the lyrics so you can sing along.

The other day, my son Luke was sent home early because of a possible stomach bug.  Thankfully it turned out to be nothing but a self-proclaimed "wet-burp" (snips and snails and puppy dog tails), but it allowed me to cancel all of the evening's activities and simply sit in the backyard and do nothing for a change.  This couldn't have come at a better time because it was a week filled with more activities than I could possibly handle.  I was outside for about 10 minutes reading "Dracula" (little light reading) when Charlotte came outside decked out in a white ballgown.  She tottered over to me on her plastic high-heels and announced that tea would be served in the "riving room" (that's "living room" in Kindergarten-speak) in 10-minutes.  As she teetered away I cringed a bit because I wasn't really feeling like my imagination was at it's peak after the long week I was having.  I decided with Mommy-resolve that I was going to join my little Princess for tea and I was going to drag her wicked step-sisters (well, not step per se) along with me.  I was so pleasantly surprised as we entered my living room as it had been transformed!  Her little-girl finesse was all over the room and my heart swelled as she yelled rushing towards the tv, "Wait, wait, I have to put the music on!" and put on some, "mood-music".  My baby is practicing being the hostess that hopefully one day she will be as she fills her own home with the sounds of music and laughter and the smells of a heart-felt meal shared with friends and family.  The following are pictures of our exquisite time together.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed this precious time with my little girls.
The spread complete with wildflowers picked by the hostess!

The very willing (or not so) sister.
Our amazing hostess.

New guests (The Veggie Tales Gang) arrive!
It's not polite to EAT the guests!


C'mon Maddie, you know you love it!


Ladies, where are your manners?!

1 comment:

  1. sweet, heartwarming post. All your children are precious, but that Charlotte... I'd love to have some of her sweet singing fill my house. Maybe next week?! A playdate is in order! Then it will be Luke's turn ;-)

    ReplyDelete