Luke 12:48

From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull

Good Thing I Don't Like Dull
Life is what you make of it. Always has been, always will be.- Grandma Moses

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Basil, Garlic, Cheese and Olive Oil...You Can't Go Wrong!

I love basil.  The fragrance is amazing and the flavor is so fresh.  I prefer to use it at the end of a cooked dish or keep it raw to capture that bright characteristic taste.  Pesto is one of my favorite ways to use basil as you don't cook it and it goes with so many wonderful things.  We love to make grilled pizza with pesto, mozzerella and grilled chicken.  Pesto with some crusty bread and roasted vegetables is another great summer meal that is light but satisfying.  Last summer before the hurricane in August I harvested all of my basil and made jars and jars of pesto that I froze.  We enjoyed pesto made with cream sauce, used as a rub for meats and our favorite, pasta with pesto.  This post showcases pesto with pasta.  The original recipe called for a pestal and mortar.  I use my good old food processor!  Easy as can be and your kitchen will smell wonderfully!

1/3c. of pine nuts (if you don't like nuts you can omit them, but they give the pesto a more complex flavor...once I was out of pine nuts and used some roasted almonds I had on hand, it was delicious!) and 4 cloves of garlic....take them for a whirl..

                                                            Add 2 c. of the green stuff

                               1/2c. pecorino romano cheese and 3/4c. of parmesan, salt/pepper to taste

Add olive oil while the food processor is running (I eyeball it till I like the consistency but approx. 1/4c.)  In the meanwhile cook up your favorite pasta (I use spaghetti) al dente.

                                Toss and serve from cute bowl that my Momma painted for me! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment